Happy Humpday everyone!
Last day of February, Spring is upon us (at least according to my calendar) but we are having a bit of a snow day here in Holland on the cusp of the new season. I’ve been hibernating like a bear for most of this winter, and I am in need of sunshine instead of snow.
On the upside, there is much knitting to enjoy and to keep me warm. First and foremost I am working on the cardigan for my oldest sister. She requested one handknitted by me last year and we decided on Intersect by Norah Gaughan.
Admittedly, this is a sweater I put in the mix I presented her to choose from because it would not only suit her but also be a nice challenge for me to knit. Well, fellow knitting enthusiasts, let me say I have been thoroughly challenged by this beast.
We decided to go with the original yarn, Brooklyn Tweed’s Loft, a wonderful lofty (duh!) woollen-spun 2-ply yarn that comes in an array of delectable colours. My big sis loves her greys and a sweater like this should go with everything, so “Sweatshirt” it became. Purchased at Stephen & Penelope in Amsterdam, one of my favourite wool dealers in the whole wide world, but more on them another time.
So if all was well in gift-knitting-life, how come it took almost a year to get even halfway through you ask?
Well, there were some hurdles to take along the way, being a trip abroad with no room for 10 skeins of wool, and then there was the start… First of all, you knit the back yoke strip and then add a little strap to start the shawl collar.
However it happened, (and I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with the pattern but just a lack of knitting prowess on the part of yours truly) I ended up with 2 different lengths of the collar.
My row gauge was spot on (a first!), my length was equal on both sides.. BUT.
There were 8 repeats of the pattern on one end and 10 repeats on the other.
Yes indeed. Now how I fixed this is a matter for another post, but suffice it to say I did, and it took me all but 3 weeks.
Intersect is definitely not a project for the faint of heart, especially when said knitter decides to make modifications to the pattern because she is allergic to sewing knitwear together. Even buttons are sometimes too much for me.
Let’s just say I could have finished 3 times over while figuring out how to fix my own boo-boos. Also, Intersect is not a TV project. At all. Which means I can only knit on it when I am fully concentrated. And that means I need to do other (mindless) projects in between.
Still, when all is said and done, I am still happy to work on it. I have to be in the mood for it, that’s true but when I am, it’s all good.
I managed to join the body mid-January so I could try it on her to see the fit. It looked narrow-ish so I was a tad worried but the fit was fantastic and it gave me a boost to carry on.
Currently, the first sleeve is done and I am picking up the second and working the short rows to shape the sleeve cap. Which required some math on my part because in the pattern the sleeves are worked bottom up.
I will write down a summary of what I did to enable top-down knitting, my favourite! If you’d like me to post it, let me know!
Happy Wednesday everyone!